Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

In Canada, EVERY PERSON who owns or acquires a firearm MUST have a firearms licence, whether for a non-restricted firearm, a restricted firearm, or a prohibited firearm. A firearms licence is also required to obtain ammunition.

Applying for a firearms licence

Information about the Canadian Firearms Safety Course as well as how to apply for a firearms licence is available on the RCMP’s Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) website (, at the Chief Firearms Officers regional offices, or by calling 1 800 731‑4000.

Renewal of a Firearms Licence

Firearms licences are generally valid for a period of five years. It is very important that licence holders inform the CFP of any change of address in order that renewal notices and other information be sent to the right location.

1 800 731-4000

[email protected]

Difference with the Possession only licence (POL)

The Possession Only Licence (POL) does not allow for the acquisition of firearms. The POL was created as a grandfathering mechanism to provide those who lawfully possessed a firearm when the Firearms Act came into force in 1998 (and who did not intend to acquire additional firearms), an opportunity to obtain a licence without having to pay for and successfully complete the firearms safety training course and test. The POL is only available for renewal. Since 2001, new firearms applicants must apply for and obtain a PAL in order to legally possess firearms. As of December 2014, approximately 530 000 individuals hold a POL. POL RENEWAL IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

Minor's Licence

For individuals aged 12 to 17 years
  • A Minors’ Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and passed the test.
  • Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor’s licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee.

Hunting initiation licence (Qc)

The Hunting initiation licence is for all Quebec resident older than 12 years old who never owned any hunting certificate. This resident can, only one year in is lifetime, all hunting licences at regular price.

To hunt, the licence holder must be accompanied by a Quebec resident older than 25 years old who holds the proper hunter’s certificate.

Reference (FR only):

Get your licence (FR only)

To obtain a Possession Licence

Filling the form

To fill a request to obtain your Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) click on the link below:


For Canadian residents 18 years and older:

The Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. It is renewable every five years. As a general rule, applicants must have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC).

For non-residents 18 years and older:

A Non-resident firearms declaration that has been confirmed by a customs officer is deemed to be a temporary licence for up to 60 days.
Non-residents who have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course can apply for a five-year PAL.


For detailed instructions to better guide you throughout your process, contact us at the following address: